It's National Library Week April 3 to 9, and we thought we'd take the opportunity to highlight some of the more unique items the Hauppauge, Smithtown and Commack Libraries has available to check out ... other than books!
We’re excited for the upcoming arrival of spring, and for the classes and events in our Spring 2022 newsletter. Registration begins Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 9:00am for Hauppauge Library cardholders, and Saturday, March 12, 2022 for out-of-district guests. For your convenience, registration forms for adult, teen and children’s classes can be downloaded and printed […]
The Friends of the Hauppauge Library are offering one $500 scholarship to a senior graduating from Hauppauge High School in June. Details can be found in the application. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, April 13.
The Friends of the Hauppauge Library invite all photographers to submit up to 5 photos for a juried photography contest. Entry forms and guidelines are available at the library or can be downloaded online. Submissions are due by 5:00 PM on Sunday, April 24. Winners will be announced at a virtual contest reception on Monday, […]
The Library is proud to announce we have been certified as a Sustainable Library from the Sustainable Libraries Initiative. Learn more about this accomplishment on our Sustainability page.
The Friends of the Hauppauge Library and the Hauppauge School District are excited to announce the 11th Annual Writing Contest. Students in grades 1-8 are invited to submit a story, essay, poem or story board (comic strip) on the topic “What does it take to be successful and reach your dreams?” Entries will be submitted […]
Grab n Go Kits
will be available for pick up beginning on the following dates: Tuesday, April 5th at 9:00 AM: Monday, April 25th at 9:00 AM: Teen Grab & Go Kits: Wooden Piggy Bank Teen Grab & Go Kits: Snack Around the World Teen Grab & Go Kits: Sunshine Bags In an effort to accommodate as many patrons as possible Grab & Go Kits must be picked up within 7 days of initial pick-up date. If not, the kit will be given to the next available patron on the waitlist.
Tween Recycle Book Butterfly
Monday, April 11th, 4:30 PM – 5:15 PM Limit: 16 • Registration: Monday, April 4th Come join Ms. Regina as we create recycled book page butterflies that we will then use to decorate wreaths for the spring season!
Tween Fizzy Bath Powder
Monday, May 9th, 4:30 PM – 5:15 PM Limit: 16 • Registration: Monday, April 4th Join Ms. Regina as we create fizzy bath powder. It has the same amount of fizzle as a bath bomb! Please dress to make a mess. In-Person Program Guidelines.s
The LearnLab, located on the lower level of the Smithtown Building, is the Library's makerspace. A makerspace is a space designated for the hands-on learning of emerging, creative technologies. In the LearnLab, library patrons can utilize a variety of equipment to bring their ideas to life. LearnLab staff is available to assist patrons through the proper use of technology, but it is the patron's responsibility to design and create the project.
What are the LearnLab procedures?
- Use of the LearnLab is available for all Smithtown Library cardholders in good standing.
- For a full list of regulations, please read the LearnLab Policy. Every patron using LearnLab equipment, no matter how brief, must sign this policy.
- Patrons under the age of 18 must bring a copy of the LearnLab policy signed by a parent or guardian to their appointment.
- Patrons under the age of 12, with the exception of program attendance, must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who will be responsible for them while in the LearnLab.
- Training modules are required for use of equipment and must be successfully completed prior to appointment time.
- To view the training modules, please click the Learn More Here button found on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Patrons will be required to create a free Niche Academy account to complete training modules.
- Patrons are expected to leave the space in the condition existing when they entered it.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the LearnLab.
Stop your local Library during National Library Week and explore! What interesting thing can you find to take home?