Granola is so versatile and delicious. It can be eaten like cereal, put on top of yogurt or smoothie bowls, eaten by the handful, and even sprinkled on fruit salad to give it a crunch. However, it can be expensive and have a lot of sugar. Here's a healthy and quick recipe you can make at home!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (you can use quick cook oats too, just not steel cut)
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds, crushed (or use salted almonds and omit the additional salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey together in a separate bowl or pan in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Add vanilla to the coconut oil and honey.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are well coated.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet. (I put a silicone baking mat on my baking sheet first for easier cleanup.)
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, turning with a spatula after 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Gently break apart with a spatula and store in an air-tight container.
Want to add some fun flavors? Try mixing in one (or more) of these ingredients after the granola has cooled. You could even host a make-your-own granola party and everyone in the family can create their custom mix!
Optional mix-in ideas:
- Shredded coconut
- Mini dark chocolate chips
- Dried fruit (raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.)
- Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.)